Guru Guru - Hinten CD (album) cover

HINTEN

Guru Guru

Krautrock

Sheavy
3 stars What a nice album cover........

Anyway, this album is a lot quicker than their first album, but it is no where near as enjoyable. I really liked Electric Junk with it's fast jamming guitar from Geinrich, and when the drums started doing into a solo I thought I was in for a great drum solo, but no. Some random spoken words come out of no where and completely disrupt the flow. I have a feeling the band meant it to be this way, but it really annoyed and bothered me, it then goes into some softer, trippier guitar with more vocal mumbleings, then starts the fast paced jamming again towards the end.

The next song is much better and way more psychedelic and far out than the previous song. It features some acid influenced lyrics about The Meaning Of Meaning ( hmm, what is the meaning of meaning seriously? it really does make you think ), and the music fits well with the idea here. It gradually gets faster and faster till the end all the muscians are really letting go and playing as fast as they can.

Bo Diddley is a ode to, obviously, Bo Diddley, even if it sounds like the farthest thing Bo Diddley would ever write and play. For me this track really does not do much for me, and is rather forgettable even if it does have some great playing. There is just better jam type songs out there in my opinion.

Space Ship. Now we are talking. This is my favorite song off this album and has some totally tripped out guitar and sounds at the beginning, with some low guitar and bass rumblings. it also has some nice effects and the radio really work well here. It starts to build up a bit, then bam. The guitars bottom out and start to wail and make some very nice trippy spaceyness. Then as this dies away, a actual beat comes in with the drums playing this staccato like beat and the bass and guitar following suit. This part of the song is really the only structered part of the whole song. After this comes a wonderful absolute spaced out collage of guitars, bass, drums, and some spacey wailings from some electronic instrument. Easily the best song on the album, and it really puts the other tracks to shame for me.

It is worth getting for the final track alone, but the rest is only decent Psych/Jam songs.

Sheavy | 3/5 |