Jeff Beck - performing this week...live at Ronnie Scott's CD (album) cover

PERFORMING THIS WEEK...LIVE AT RONNIE SCOTT'S

Jeff Beck

Starhammer
4 stars "You're about to enjoy some of the worlds greatest musicians..."

Part of a series of sell-out performances from the legendary guitarist, with guest appearances from Eric Clapton, Imogen Heap and Joss Stone.

The Good: I was already familiar with this concert having listened to it many times on CD but only recently had the opportunity to watch it. Even though I knew what to expect I was still blown away. The performance had me captivated throughout with incredible energy, musicianship and intimacy. The 16 song set list reflects his innovative style, playing host to a whole menagerie of genres, and spanning his entire career. Not to be outdone the 'backing band' are pretty music all virtuosos themselves, and Vinnie Colaiuta in particular plays a stunning rendition of Billy Cobham's Stratus.

The DVD features five tracks not found on the CD and these mirror the guest performances with Eric Clapton on Little Brown Bird and You Need Love, Imogen Heap on Blanket and Rollin' and Tumblin, and Joss Stone on People Get Ready.

Whilst every single song is outstanding, my personal favourite is the hyper-frenetic Scatterbrain.

The Bad: Would like to have seen a CD/DVD package available but that's hardly the end of the world.

The Verdict: One of the best live recording of the decade.

Starhammer | 4/5 |