Genesis - Selling England By The Pound CD (album) cover

SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND

Genesis

Starhammer
3 stars "Here come the cavalry..."

Probably the most unashamedly pretentious album of all time.

The Good: As one of the highest rated albums on Prog Archives I was surprised at how long it took me to 'get into' it. Whilst most of the other top 25 regulars had an instant impact, or at the very least a recognition of why they were there, Selling England by the Pound took many listens before I started to enjoy it.

Overall it's a very strong and carefully crafted release that I find to be equally rewarding and frustrating. Whereas none of the tracks quite reach the stratospheric heights of Supper's Ready, Firth of Fifth and Cinema Show come pretty close.

The Bad: For such a prestigious album the artwork is about as iconic as a brown paper bag. The Battle of Epping Forest is far too long, with not enough actually happening. Not a huge fan of After the Ordeal either. Or Aisle of Plenty for that matter.

The Verdict: Despite my growing appreciation for Selling England by the Pound, I still consider it the most dispensable of Genesis' 1972-76 era.

Starhammer | 3/5 |