Rush - Fly By Night CD (album) cover

4 stars Although highly influenced from what was done in their previous record, this one is an improvement from it, and you could say the main reason was an evident change in the structure of the band, the arrival of Neil Peart.

This change is evident in the dynamics of their drum sound, quite outstanding even at this early stage, with an energy and proficiency which has been one of the strong points of this bands throughout their career. But it is also evident lyrically. Neil Peart has been described as one of the most pretentious lyricists to even come across the world of music. Call me a fan, which I am, but the philosophy coming from this man's words is one which can not be neglected. Either it is a piece of phylosophical reflection, either on his own or influenced by others (like Ayn Rand, for example), like we can find on "Anthem", either it is an autobiographical reference, like in "Fly By Night", or either it is a fantasy-based story, like in "By-Tor and the SnowDog", Neil Peart's lyrics are certainly unique.

Instrumentally and musically, like I said, this album repeats many features present on its predecessor, like Led Zeppelin's influenced vocals and guitar work, but I think we can also appreciate that they are starting to move towards a different direction, creating more complex structures and arrangements that would define their sound in future years.

This record, although it can't be considered their best, is certainly a fine collection of classic rock and progressive rock influenced tunes, worth listening either your are a fan or not, given you can stand Geddy Lee's high pitched voice, thing not everyone does.

shyman | 4/5 |