Amps For Christ - Every Eleven Seconds CD (album) cover

EVERY ELEVEN SECONDS

Amps For Christ

Indo-Prog/Raga Rock

Sheavy
3 stars This is a very out there, and a strange recording. I have to say I think this would be much better suited for Prog Folk, as on this cd at least, there is not a raga/Indian song on here. there is some influence but nothing more than any other folk band.

Anyway, there is a absolute monstrous amount of different influences on thi album, from Freak Folk to Avant Garde, Scottish to Noise. The first track Augmented/Demented has some very dissonant guitar soloing with some, almost rap/techno like drum programming. Cock'O The North, is a pretty straight forward little folk tune, I happen to like this one a lot, it has a very scottish feel to it for me. The next song is very similar to the first one except without the drum beat. Very scratchy guitar, juxtaposed with some clean guitar playing, with the about the first and last thirty seconds of Merzbow like noise. The next "song" is nothing more than vocalist Ranger Barnes saying some nonsensecal poem. This is one of three of this sort of thing on this cd, and it greatly annoys me as it has no relation to the rest of the music. In fact, none of the songs realy have much of a relation musically, but that does not bother as it does some of you people.

The next song Violated is more distorted guitar, but it has a lot more background noise, and guitar fuzz, and feedback. The next song is another song that completely catches you off guard. It is what I guess you would call a mexican folk song, with a Hawaiian feel in there too. That is how I will describe this song, this is also another favorite of mine from this album. I Hate This Dumpster follows this track, and this one, is full out noise. While some previous songs had some noise influences, this one is pure Merzbow like noise. Shiploaf is another pointless poetical recital. Skip. The next song Scotland The Brave, gives a hint as to what a big influence on this song was. Yep, Scottish music, with some fake bagpipes even. This then goes into the only song on here that has any raga at all. It has some sitar and tribal/mid eastern percussion, as well as some noise/feedback. The Crossing is just some guitar feedback, with some unintelligible screaming among the chaos. Chorus is the third, and last, spoken word songs, thankfully. The next song is a nice little flok song with some female and male vocals. I also really like this song. WIB is another good song, with some nice folksy guitars, along side a more dissonant soloing guitar, that plays a very, very good bluesy solo. The final song on this very eclectic bag has the techno-ish drum programming back with some scratchy guitar soloing.

This is a okay record, but with many flaws, with some of the songs being a lot weaker than others, and the spoken word parts do nothing to help this. A album that is almost like finding a little bag of curios. A solid three stars.

Sheavy | 3/5 |