Throbbing Gristle - D.o.A. The Third And Final Report  CD (album) cover

D.O.A. THE THIRD AND FINAL REPORT

Throbbing Gristle

Progressive Electronic

Sheavy
3 stars I know exactly what you just did. You glanced at the name of the band then started to read this review. Then you paused and said "wait, that says Throbbing Gristle". Yes, yes it does. Gristle has finally got their rightful place here on Pa. So let all the haters of the band, and the lovers of the band commence with the reviews.

Out of all TG albums, this one is my least favorite. There are some good songs here, but there is also a lot of songs that just sound like no effort was tried to make this a good album. The two live tracks, Hit By A Rock and Blood On The Floor, are my least favorite Gristle tracks ever probably. They are extremely boring and nothing at all is happening here, to speak. Just some incoherent mumblings from Genesis P-Horrid. The track following Rock is almost as bad as the others, it sounds almost like a field recording of sorts, with some random parts from some B-Movie used to no effect. the rest of the tracks are mostly just okay songs, with the stand out for being, the very Industrial like Dead On Arrival, with it's pulsating synths, and random bursts of noise. Hamburger Lady is one of the most terrifying songs I have ever heard, with it's monotonous bass drum beat, and it's throbbing synth line and moaning guitar, coupled with some of the most absolutely gross lyrics ever. seriously, do not look them up after you ate or if you are a squimish person, because what makes it gross, is that it is a true story..... AB/7A is, unlike every other song on this record, actually very happy and not creepy and sickening, it has some very nice and shiny synths, that recall TD to some extent. It also helps that it is sandwiched between the songs that are the most off putting here, those being Hamburger Lady, Hometime, and E-Coli. Another one that I like is the feedback noise laden, Wall Of Sound, with howling guitar, and lots of severly distorted sounds that makes it so you cannot tell what is really going. It is just a pudding of sounds with an occasional "familar" coming out for a brief second.

With the CD I got, I have two bonus tracks, those being Five Knukcle Shuffle ( yes that is how it is spelled ) which is mst similar to Dead On Arrival with an incessant Industrial beat with some guitar scrapings, and some repeated spoken word vocals, which I cannot make out.

The other is We Hate You (Little Girls) which has some very creepy guy screaming "I hate you little girls" a lot with some very Avant Garde playing in the background, with some very bad ( on purpose ) vilin playing from Gen.

Not TG's best, but if you should still get this as there are some good moments, but just not as many as The Second Annual Report, or Jazz Hits, and if you are new to TG's Avant Garde strangeness, start with those two before turning here.

Sheavy | 3/5 |