Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV CD (album) cover

LED ZEPPELIN IV

Led Zeppelin

friso
3 stars Led Zeppelin - IV (1971)

When looking at the collective result of our beloved rating-system, this must be an album that is better then - let's say - 95% of the records in my progressive rock collection. This is of course a silly thought, because the album itself has little to do with the progressive genre.

Led Zeppelin plays semi-professional heavy rock with some melodic twists and intense vocals by Robert Plant. Occasionally, the band is willing to experiment a bit, just like some of their biggest rivals of the time (think of Deep Purple, Sabbath, Budgie, Uriah Heep). Led Zeppelin has a distinct sort of heaviness and playfulness to it, mainly due to the heavy and free recording techniques that are applied. On 'IV' the band tried to find a way to restore some of the heaviness of their beginnings, whilst remaining intelligent. Most of the songs of the album are however heavy rock tunes with many guitar double/triple guitar lines and loud drums (which gives the messy garage sound).

Stairway to Heaven became a 'classic' and it's quality seems to be not suitable for debate, though I would say it's a cheesy song with a totally non-original ending section. Black Dog and Rock and Roll are also famous hard rock tunes. Catchy and heavy. The Battle for Evermore is perhaps my favorite song of the album, I really like the strange guitar-folk sound/composition and the way Plant applies hard rock lyrics. The best material is on the first side, side two has not very much to offer in my opinion.

Conclusion. A good hard rock album from '71 that is a bit overrated in my opinion. Three stars.

friso | 3/5 |