Amps For Christ - The People At Large CD (album) cover

THE PEOPLE AT LARGE

Amps For Christ

Indo-Prog/Raga Rock

Sheavy
4 stars This album from the crazy people known as Amps For Christ, has a lot more Raga than the previous album of theirs hat I heard, which was Every Eleven Seconds. This one is also better, and has a ton more wierdness to sink your teeth into.

The first track is a nice Raga song with some vocals, which were uncommon one Every Eleven Seconds, but it gives the song a more folk feel. The next track Use, Use, Use is a very strange song with some very distorted guitar and some noisy electronics. On top of this there is some very harsh and distorted vocals, which are impossible to make it. A very noisy song that has nothing in common with Raga or Folk. Next song has some nice acoustic guitar and reminds me of a nice cool, breezy afternoon relaxing on the beach. Prince Charlie Stuart is yet in another genre than all the previous songs. This time we get a english, medieval folk song. This one also has some nice lyrics and Viola. This one is a standout from this album, for me.

Next up in the line of madness is a song that starts off with some sitar twangs and tribal percussion, then some chirping electronics join the mix, which makes for a very interesting listen. Banjo Hymn, has a almost drone feel to it, and is a very slow, but captivating song. AFC Tower Song has a very overtly political slant, with lyrics about America and it's troubles as off right now. The song has some clean acoustic guitar along side a very distorted electric guitar. This tendency to juxtapose acoustic versus harsh electronic makes Amps standout from a lot of other bands who are in this same musical sphere. The closest band I can think of would be Boyd Rice, not lyrically, but musically, with some hints of Current 93.

I will refrain from talking any more specifics as to the rest of the songs, so I do not ruin your listening experience if you do pick this up some time, but it keeps going in the same "direction" of the previosly described songs. That would be a eclectic bag of strange folk, noise, and other influences here and there.

The one thing that I do not care for is there are the short spoken word/poetry like songs that just get on your nerves, and this album is probably to sprawling and a bit unfocused for some people, but I like this album, and I think it merits a four star.

Sheavy | 4/5 |