Fish - Vigil In A Wilderness Of Mirrors CD (album) cover

VIGIL IN A WILDERNESS OF MIRRORS

Fish

oldcrow
4 stars This classy album marked the launch of Fish's solo career in some style. Opener Vigil is the most-Marillionesque track on here and then the trademark sounds of his old band are gradually left behind as he explores different musical styles. 'The Company' is a fine drinking anthem and ' A Gentleman's Excuse Me' a beautiful ballad,with strings section re-emphasising the classy approach- I actually prefer this track stripped down to vocal with piano accompaniment as on the bonus track.

If the album lacks something I think it is pace, with only 'View from a Hill' truly rocking out. The best track on here for me 'though is closer 'Cliche', with wonderful lyric and fine guitar work.

The bonus tracks of 'Jack & Jill' , 'Whiplash' and 'Internal Exile' add to the whole, with the latter two in particular further examples of Fish's exploration of new-found musical freedom.

For many Fish fans this album is his best but I actually prefer 'Sunsets on Empire' and 'Field of Crows' as they both have more bite.

oldcrow | 4/5 |