Rush - A Farewell To Kings CD (album) cover

A FAREWELL TO KINGS

Rush

Starhammer
5 stars A Farewell To Inconsistency...

The first masterpiece from Dirk, Lerxst and Pratt.

The Good: Where to start? Having initially been introduced to Rush through the "Chronicles" anthology I already knew (and loved) Closer to the Heart and the title track. Some years later I got round to buying the studio album and was completely blown away by Xanadu. Whilst only half the length of 2112 it somehow manages to pack in just as much quality and is incredibley intricate without becoming overblown or pretentious. To this day it remains one of the best compositions I have ever heard.

The spacey intro to Cygnus X-1 lasts nearly two minutes before Geddy's guitar kicks in and sets in motion what would eventually become the main event of the next album. A more than worthy predecessor. Even Cinderella Man has grown on me over time with its funky basslines and interesting lyrics.

The Bad: Madrigal is pleasant but nothing more

The Verdict: Rush enter their prime.

Starhammer | 5/5 |