Rush - Permanent Waves CD (album) cover

PERMANENT WAVES

Rush

Starhammer
4 stars "And echoes with the sounds of salesmen... "

Rush try a slightly more commercial approach, but still leave their signature sound intact.

The Good: The Spirit of Radio is not only my favourite Rush song, but also one of my favourite songs of all time. Sure it may not have the technical prowess of Xanadu or the lyrical journey of 2112, but for me the overall package is just perfect and I never tire of listening to it.

The term "commercial" is often considered taboo within the world of prog as it is generally associated with bands "selling out", but I find that it can be equally admirable to make music which is both interesting and accessible. On Permanent Waves Rush demonstrate the best of both worlds with Freewill and Natural Science...

The Bad: ...but there are also tracks which are slightly lacking such as Different Strings and Jacob's Ladder. Whilst neither are particularly bad, they aren't all that memorable either with the latter sounding like a pocket-sized rehash of Hemispheres.

The Verdict: A transitional record from Rush, Permanent Waves is to Moving Pictures what 2112 is to AFTK.

Starhammer | 4/5 |