Nurkostam - -C- CD (album) cover

Nurkostam

Anthony H.
2 stars Nurkostam: -C- [2009]

Rating: 3/10

-C- is the third album from Finnish art-rock trio Nurkostam. The band's first release XIII left me completely cold, and their sophomore effort III of Dreamers, while a vast improvement over the debut, didn't fare much better. This is a group that fails to inject passion and feeling into their music, and this failure is reflected in their compositions. However, I did see potential in III of Dreamers. Nurkostam were developing their mellow sound on that album, and there were a few moments that were quite enjoyable. Unfortunately, these three Finns don't develop their sound at all on this third release. Instead, they created what is essentially a boring art-pop album with traces of mellow art-rock.

'The Pearl Song' is a fairly catchy art-pop tune. It's quite electronic, with programmed drums (they sound programmed, at least) and synths. It's not a bad song, but certainly not a fascinating one. The album does a 180 with 'Crawlin' Nation', a mercilessly dull acoustic rock song with bland vocals. The same description also applies to 'Prison', even though the electronics have a stronger presence on this track. 'Myplanet' actually has a bit of a Red Hot Chili Peppers feel to it, but it's still terribly boring, just like every other track on this album. The acoustics return on 'Slo Lee.' This is another dull track, even though there are some decent atmospherics. 'Intentionally Left Blank' is a forty-second keyboard interlude. 'Gone' is another electronic art-rock song with some painfully bad lyrics. 'Shrine' is another short interlude, this time featuring electronic vocals. The closer 'Darkmoor' follows in the same uninteresting footsteps as the rest of the tracks on the album.

I find it hard to imagine anybody getting excited about the music on -C-. I feel the same way about it as I do about XIII: it's an unobjectionable album that paradoxically becomes objectionable merely because it's so uninteresting. Apathy is the only emotion I can bring myself to feel for this album. This isn't bad music; it's sterile music. It's music that doesn't seem to know where it's going or what it wants to do. As I've said in previous reviews, I have tremendous respect for the band; anybody who expresses themselves creatively gets points in my book. Regardless, that doesn't stop this album from being wholly unexciting. This is an undoubtedly skippable release.

Anthony H. | 2/5 |