Ulver - Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler CD (album) cover

BERGTATT - ET EEVENTYR I 5 CAPITLER

Ulver

Post Rock/Math rock

Sheavy
3 stars I am not a fan of black metal at all, and so I am kind of surprised at to how much i can apreciate this debut from Ulver. It is black metal with a huge twist, much, much more melodic than most black metal at the time, and much more clean singing here to, which certaintly alienated them from the Scandinavian Black Metal scene, which I consider a good thing. the music here is fairly pleasant with my favorite song here being the beautiful acoustic song, Een Stemme Locker, with its sad almost isolated feeling acoustic wanderings and some chantings in the background, which reminds me heavily of something Current 93 or Death In June would do.

The other songs are all pretty okay with some nice flute and acoustic guitar at the beginning of Soelen Gaaer Bag Aase Need, which gives it a very folk sound, before exploding into the usual Black Metal cacophony.

A good offering from this band of many faces, and one that is surely appreciated by black metal lovers.

Sheavy | 3/5 |