Jimi Hendrix - Valleys Of Neptune CD (album) cover

VALLEYS OF NEPTUNE

Jimi Hendrix

Proto-Prog

Sheavy
3 stars More Hendrix for his worshipers. Well that would include me so I got this on cd the day it came out.

This cd, like many of his that were released post humously, it is very uneven with songs ranging from excellent to not so excellent. I do not like the version of Stone Free here, because it just does not have that raw sound that the original one had. The version of Fire also suffers from this problem. It just does not have the same Fire ( sorry, bad pun) as the original. Valley Of Neptune and Ships Passing are a bit of deviances from the norm for Hendrix and while they are decent songs, and I do like the keyboards in Ships, overall, they do not capture me like some of the other songs here. Overall this album mainly shows Hendrix in his bluesy moods. Some are better than others here, those being the interesting version of Sunshine of Your Love which shows Hendrix covering the famous Eric Clapton. The version of red House here is also another favorite of mine. Slow drawn out blues track with great guitar playing. The same goes for Hear My Train Comin'. Great blues piece with outstanding guitar playing.

I will go on to the two Live in studio songs that I got with my releae. They are both instrumental affairs with more bluesy guitar. They are certaintly not the best live Hendrix as they come off as sounding like they just got bored one day in the studio and decided to just jam around for the sake of it. While I have no problem with this, I could appreciate them much more of there already wasn't ten thousand live releases featuring these muscians already. Trash Man is the first jam and has a nice riff at the beginning and could be Hendrix laying the groundwork for a new song, with the only thing missing being the vocals, as the bass and drums are present. Slow Version is along the same lines as Trash Man with bass and drums, and the only thing missing is vocals. I also like this better of the two bonus songs, because it has some nice soloing and very raw and bluesy riffs layed down by Hendrix.

Overall this is still something that I think people should get even if it is just trying to rake money in on Hendrixes namesake.

Sheavy | 3/5 |