Black Jester - Diary of a Blind Angel CD (album) cover

Black Jester

2 stars Black Jester was a short lived Italian band who released three albums and may have done some gigs too. This album was released in 1992 and that was five years after this type of music was anywhere near popular or social acceptable.

Black Jester and their music most of all reminds me about Yngwie Malmsteen's Rising Force without Yngwie Malmsteen's guitars. That is the best description I can give this music.

There are plenty of guitars here. But not Yngwie's trademark guitars. That is either because Black Jester's guitarist is not in the same class or the band could not be bothered. But the tangents, bass and drums is pretty much similar to what Rising Force did. The vocals here are pretty weak though.

The cover is pretty terrible and I am afraid that serves as an ample warning about the music too. It is melodic heavy metal without much melodic qualities or any qualities at all. There are some good decent songs here, but that is all. I give it a couple of points and that is all.

2 stars