Captain Beefheart - Strictly Personal  CD (album) cover

STRICTLY PERSONAL

Captain Beefheart

RIO/Avant-Prog

dog3000
3 stars I am only familiar with the original vinyl mix, which I've always thought was a tragically bungled affair. The allegedly "psychedelic effects" often simply make the band sound like they're playing in an airplane hanger or echoey gymnasium. They simply aren't well executed "effects" even by the standards of the day, and they make the performances sound horribly dated.

However there are some quite good songs here, clearly a transitional stage between his twin 60's masterpieces "Milk" and "Trout." "Gimme Dat Harp Boy" has always been my favorite, though there are plenty more here which could have been classics if not ruined in the mix.

Obviously, I should track down the "clean non-psychedelic mix" CD then eh?? Consider my rating as only applying to the original LP . . .

| 3/5 |