Talk Talk - The Party's Over CD (album) cover

THE PARTY'S OVER

Talk Talk

Dobermensch
4 stars Probably the most 'unprog' album in the entire archive. Ian Hollis sounds like a Bryan Ferry doppelganger on this release. Even the way in which he bares his teeth in the promotional videos reminds me of early 80's Ferry.

That aside, this debut album is a superb piece of synth pop. Very catchy tunes and LOADS of synths and non acoustic sounding drums. God knows how this ended up in the archives. I suppose you can't have their later more Prog albums listed without the earlier ones too.

'Talk Talk' is a very uplifting, tuneful and pacey little album which is perfect for cycling to. It's well produced with perfect recording levels throughout. But goodness me, they really are derivative of their contemporaries, such as Japan, Duran Duran and Roxy Music. No tune more more so than the best track 'Today' with it's fretless Mick Karn bass. This is perfect 'pop' music with no clunkers at all, with a smooth floating feel throughout. Suits me fine - I love all that nonsense!

An excellent release which Prog lovers will hate with a passion. Avoid at all costs!

A bit of trivia and a challenge to readers - this is one of only 3 albums I've ever heard where the band name, the album title and a track on the album all have the same name. There's one in the Prog Archives. Any ideas?

Dobermensch | 4/5 |