John Zorn - Pool CD (album) cover

RIO/Avant-Prog

Anthony H.
1 stars John Zorn: Pool [1997]

Rating: 2/10

Pool is the second of four early game-piece improvisations that were released in 1997 in a box-set called The Parachute Years. There are multiple release dates that can be applied this album; it was recorded in 1980, released in the box-set 17 years later, and then released on its own in 2000. Because The Parachute Years was the release on which this first gained (relatively) wide release, I'll state the release year as 1997 for Pool and its three sister albums.

Like its predecessor Lacrosse, Pool is an avant-garde improvisational experiment that focuses more on playing around with noise than on creating actual enjoyable music. The music here consists of haphazard sounds - and nothing else. There is not a single second here that is discernable to anybody who is not intimately familiar with obscure improvisational concepts. Thus, this is one of the most profoundly boring things I've ever brought to my ears. Admittedly, there are two things that make it better than Lacrosse. First, it's short. Second, the moments of silence aren't quite as drawn out. Needless to say, though, these aren't exactly compliments.

I apologize for the brief review, but there really is not much I can say about this.

Anthony H. | 1/5 |