Emerson Lake & Palmer - Pictures At An Exhibition CD (album) cover

PICTURES AT AN EXHIBITION

Emerson Lake & Palmer

friso
2 stars Emerson Lake & Palmer - Pictures at an Exhibition (live) (1972)

After finding a vinyl copy of the better-then-expected debut of ELP I regained interest in the band for a while. The style of the band hasn't been very convincing for me, though I must admit I admire their style and momentum on side one of Tarkus. Furthermore, the vocals of Greg Lake are always a warm reminder of the King Crimson debut, which still is one of my favorite records.

Pictures of an Exhibition is a live recording of ELP playing it's own version of some pieces of Mussorgsky. The original version is very well spoken of in the world of classical music, and even some friends of mine knew about it. This rework by ELP is almost a complete miss for me. Brilliant bands often know what not to do, that list of traps that ensure failure. ELP could have been a bit more reflective in this regard. Though some of the reworks of the original pieces are respectful and intelligent, the own parts and jams by ELP totally ruin the otherwise interesting atmospheres. Adding some vocals here there is good, adding the power of rock to the mix is acceptable and sometimes even pleasant, but the mindless jamming and overall weak performance (mainly dealing with a pleasant volume and it's continuity) are really things that can make me shiver at times.

Conclusion. I like the idea, I like some parts of it, but I can't say I feel the need to keep the record. Recommended only to fans and collectors of keyboard-oriented symphonic prog.

friso | 2/5 |