Orphaned Land - Mabool - The Story Of The Three Sons Of Seven CD (album) cover

Orphaned Land

Experimental/Post Metal

5 stars Middle-Eastern Promises

Six years in the making, the third studio release from ground-breaking Israeli band Orphaned Land finally arrives.

A couple of years ago my music collection had become a little bit saturated with progressive metal so I decided to take a bit of a 'sabbatical' and spend more time exploring other musical avenues. Around about the same time a friend of kept going on and on about this band Orphaned Land and their album that I simply 'had' to listen to. After a while I eventually gave in and gave it a spin (more to shut him up than anything else!) and I think I ended up listening to "Mabool" four times in a row that same day.

It blew my mind and still does. Its not just the fact that their unique fusion of doom/death metal and middle-eastern folk blend together perfectly, but the overall quality of the release makes it one of the very finest concept albums I have ever heard. The story follows the path of three sons of God, each representing one of the Abrahamic religions on their quest to save humanity from their sins. Whilst the story itself is unimportant, the pseudo-union of the band's multiple faiths shows the power that music can have in these uncertain times, not least within the Middle East.

Every single track is a winner and the combined effect is just sensational. Soaring guitars, atmospheric synths and haunting vocals line the album which is segmented with hypnotic grooves, folk interludes and celestial choruses. I've said it before but the sound is completely fresh and completely cohesive, the coming of age for what has now become known as oriental metal. Standout tracks include, well, just about everything! But especially Halo Dies, Norra el Norra and The Storm Still Rages Inside.

The Verdict: Stunning.