Michael Manring - Unusual Weather CD (album) cover

Michael Manring

RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
3 stars It was in the 80s. Prog seemed to be almost dead and internet was far to come so I turned into newage and Wyndham Hill artists for a while.

Michael Manring was one of the first that I have approached, also because a not on the album's sleeve was saying "There are no frets in this album". Also it features another big Wyndham Hill's artist that's the great guitarist Micheal Hedges, died in a car crash in 1997.

The music here is newage. It's good quality music, easy jazz, chill-out, it has all the good characteristics of the best newage things. It sometimes reminds to Pat Metheny, like the vocals on "Huge Moon", but I don't know how this excellent bassist is landed on PA.

If you like fretless bass (there was a lot of Fenders in the 80s) and jazzy chillout music this is a great album, I still listen to Manring sometimes and I still like him, but it doesn't fit into the 4 stars defintion because it says "any prog rock music collection".

It's a good album, anyway but it can't have more than three stars.

octopus-4 | 3/5 |