Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient CD (album) cover

ZILTOID THE OMNISCIENT

Devin Townsend

Experimental/Post Metal

Quirky Turkey
5 stars As good as Space Progressive Post Metal gets.

This album is about a fourth dimensional alien who wages war on humans because they didn't give him a good cup of coffee. Then there's some space travel and planet smashing, and then I lose track of the story. Obviously there are no boundaries to this album and doesn't take itself seriously at all, but the actual music is very good and so creates a fantastic album. Devin Townsend did the whole thing in the comfort of his own home with no one telling him what to do, so he was able to let his creativity run free.

The whole album is very heavy and ranges from screamo and immense double kick, to psycedelic spacey trips. Highlights are Solar Winds, Hyperdrive, N9, Colour Your World, and The Greys - all these being the less heavy ones. The drums are from a (really good) drum machine but it doesn't make a difference to me. The album is dominated by guitars and Devin makes good use of effects to get all sorts of sounds. He does a great job of this: I heard little keyboards and the atmosphere was still immersing.

The first time I listened to this I thought it was too heavy for me, which was a shame because I liked its concept. But I somehow found myself coming back to it and before long, I was left mezmorised after each listen. I usually hate screamo and growly vocals but in this album its all in context, so I can see how it actually enhances the music.

It must be said, if I rated each song individually I wouldn't give most of them a 9 or a 10. The music probably isn't 5 star worthy because of its heaviness but due to: the experience the album provides, its concept, and the album as a whole, I give it 5. This album is best listened to in its entirety.

Ziltoid may not suck you in at the first listen, but it'll become part of your life.

Quirky Turkey | 5/5 |