John Zorn - Archery CD (album) cover

John Zorn

Anthony H.
1 stars John Zorn: Archery [1997]

Rating: 1/10

Archery is the fourth (and, thank God, last) installment in a series of Zorn's early game-piece improvisations collectively known as The Parachute Years. Needless to say, I am not a fan of this series. These pieces are absolutely impenetrable. Although some sort of musical ideas are at work here, it's next to impossible for anybody untrained in obscure improvisatory theory to detect them, much less appreciate them.

There are a few things about Archery, though, that make it particularly intolerable. The first and most obvious factor is the sheer length. This album (and I use the term "album" loosely) is two hours and forty minutes long. It's difficult to justify such an uncannily massive run-time; an album this long must contain diverse and interesting musical ideas that hold the listener's attention. Archery does the exact opposite. Like its companion albums, this album consists entirely of avant-garde noodling that amounts to nothing but directionless noise. There's nothing musical at work here. It's just random sounds. And it lasts for nearly three hours.

I mean no disrespect to Zorn or the other musicians involved here, but this just isn't good. I defy anyone to listen to this whole thing in one sitting. The prospect of listening to this again fills me with an intense sense of malaise. This is a chore, not a music album; that statement alone should be enough to properly express my distaste.

Anthony H. | 1/5 |