Tool - Undertow CD (album) cover

Tool

Experimental/Post Metal

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
3 stars After hearing and reading so much about this band, with all the people raving about their prog sound, I had to check them out. Luckily, I found this CD used, at a very favorable price.

What I hear on this album is mostly a blend of alternative rock and metal. Occasionally there are a few prog riffs thrown in, and some nonstandard time signatures, but nothing too complex. Although not terribly progressive, I find that the album does stand up as an excellent form of hard rock. I presume fans will tell me that I have to get their later albums to fully appreciate the band. And if I can find the albums at a good price, I probably will do that.

Evolver | 3/5 |