Annexus Quam - Osmose CD (album) cover

Annexus Quam

2 stars You really get the urge to give these guys a slap around the face to waken them up. It sounds like they're playing their instruments while half asleep lying in bed.

I was misled by the superb front cover. It's a bit of a misnomer. I expected something a bit stranger and more original, Basically you get the usual early Kraut sound from the early 70's. There's a few flutes are thrown in once in a while which livens things up, but it's really an album that has no idea as to where it's heading... It has all the trappings of early Kraut but sorely misses a vocalist amongst the excessive jamming that is clearly going on.

Luckily for Osmose, the last track (all 18 minutes of it!) is something of a dramatic improvement even if some of the drumming seems poorly out of time. They've finally arisen from their beds and have started playing with a bit of conviction, but it's all too late... I'm fed up with this.

I'm probably being a bit hard on this album, but there's so much better and original music available from this period of Krautrock, that I feel justified in the rating I apply.

Dobermensch | 2/5 |