Dream Theater - Octavarium CD (album) cover

Dream Theater

4 stars Every DT fan can safely admit that Octavarium and Train Of Thoughts are very different CDs; me, I am nobody to say the opposite, but I can tell you that these two albums have very different lives...

While I listened to ToT for almost a MONTH straight when it was releaseed (such was my thirst for heavy riffs!) and later I started to get annoyed by the "going-nowhere-but-fast" attitude of that release, I must say that OCTAVARIUM is now gaining more and more attention, after a few months from its release, and an initial doubtful welcome; this fact, in my case, gives a very good chance that this album will be a favourite for a very long time.

OK, the songs are not as complex as in the past, but they are SONGS, and pleasant ones to listen to; the DT masterly technique is spread all over, with the possible minor defect that there are not enough Petrucci licks and riffs throughout the whole CD, but then again maybe this is the reason for the songs have more "breath" than on ToT.

I can say that this is a 4 stars CD, considering that SFAM is a 5 and SDOIT and I&W a 4,5...

Nuff Said.

P.S. Octavarium (the song) is WAAAAAY better than A Change Of Seasons... Live With That. Peace.

tortellino | 4/5 |