Magma - Üdü Ẁüdü CD (album) cover

Magma

Zeuhl

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars This album was my first experience with Magma, and when I first bought this LP, I just about played it to death. But strangely, I never got much further with this outstanding band.

The album starts with the title track, Üdü Ẁüdü. It's a fusiony piece, with a very latin sound. The percussion, horns and vocals add to this effect. Very nice. The heavy Weidorje follows. It has a simpler rhythm section, and almost chanted vocals. Bernard Paganotti's bass, at least at the beginning of this song, along with some synth play, keep the piece from getting too boring. One could swear that Troller Tanz (Ghost Dance) was a song by The Residents. Soleil D'Ork (Ork's Sun) has a funky world music feel, and Jannik Top's cool bass keeps this one fun. Zombies (Ghost Dance) closes out side one with some fantastic drumming. It's a dark piece that sounds like avant jazz at times to me.

Whew!

Side two is one long piece. De Futura. It's a fantastic bass heavy piece with Top playing everything but drums. Just astounding.

Evolver | 4/5 |