Von Hertzen Brothers - Love Remains the Same CD (album) cover

LOVE REMAINS THE SAME

Von Hertzen Brothers

Starhammer
4 stars Band of Brothers...

The third studio album from the Finnish quintet.

Von Hertzen Brothers were scheduled to open the Prog Stage at High Voltage 2011, having never heard of them I decided to check out Loves Remains the Same a couple of weeks before the festival started. Normally I'd try to investigate as many of these 'unknown' bands as possible before heading off but I ended up listening to this release so many times that I didn't have time for anything else! It quickly became obvious that this wasn't going to simply be a case of making sure I recognised a couple of the songs during their live set, this record was something special, and would remain a keeper long after the gig had ended.

The songwriting on Love Remains the Same is pure class. Weighted perfectly between emotion, virtuosity and accessibility. The style varies widely throughout and when I listen I hear Moon Safari, Pink Floyd, Muse, Pain of Salvation, Manic Street Preachers, Ennio Morricone, The Beach Boys, Anathema and Al Di Meola amongst others.

Bring Out the Sun (So Alive) starts very softly, a gentle crescendo into a bombastic climax, and the closing track, The Willing Victim is similar in structure but very different in style. These two, alongside Somewhere in the Middle and Spanish 411 are for me the best of an excellent bunch which gets better with every listen! The mix is also incredible, so many subtle nuances to discover which make this album almost impossible to fully appreciate without listening through a pair of high end headphones. It's very rare indeed that the sound engineering does justice to a release of this calibre. It's obvious how much time and care has been out into this album and it deserves nothing to less in return.

And as for High Voltage, they blew away the Prog Stage! Spock's Beard and Jethro Tull didn't even come close.

The Verdict: One of the best crossover albums of the decade.

Starhammer | 4/5 |