Gryphon - Midnight Mushrumps CD (album) cover

MIDNIGHT MUSHRUMPS

Gryphon

Prog Folk

ZowieZiggy
2 stars I quite dislike the debut from this band. No prog at all could be noticed; but this was not an isolated case within this "prog" folk category.

Things are getting better with their second album, to tell you the truth. Not that this is blowing me away of course but there are some fine moments available. Like during the side long suite and title track. Fine acoustic guitar parts combined with nice medieval moments. Now, don't expect any great prog epic either. We are far away from form THAB or even APP to remain in this prog sub-genre.

I wouldn't deeply describe the tracks available on the second side of this album; from a classic folkish "Ploughboy's Dream" with no interest, the "next" key (which you all know) brings you to the mediocre "Last Flash?". This is only middle-age music, no more as far as I am concerned. Did you say prog? In this case, Henry VIII (or some of his predecessors) was one of the first sponsors of prog music?

I will rate this album with two stars.

ZowieZiggy | 2/5 |