Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson - Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson CD (album) cover

YOUTH PICTURES OF FLORENCE HENDERSON

Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson

Post Rock/Math rock

Sheavy
3 stars (Review requested by Horizons)

YPOFH is Post rock band from Norway, the only Post rock band from this country that I know of besides Ulver.

I had some pretty high hopes going into this album, but unfortunately, I am kind of let down overall. It never reaches out and makes you take notice, it stays firmly within the realm of most all other Post rock bands without doing anything new.

That is not why I do not really care for this album though. First thing is the vocals. They tend to vary in how good they are throughout the album. Some songs, like He Can't Be Dead, I got His Autograph, have great vocals, and overall it is a really good song, and my favorite off this album. Other times there are one too many moments in songs where the singing sounds almost terrible, like towards the end of Let's Rent Bikes From 1982. Another problem I find is the use of some found sound clips. There is an art to using sound clips, and some bands, like Gybe, know how to use them to their full extent and create a masterpiece. Other bands do not seem to be able to incorporate them into the music in a way that it feels unobtrusive, and the one that sticks out the most for me is The League Will Never Let The Albino Kid Win, which is my least favorite out of all the songs here mainly because of the bad use of sound clips, and it has got some pretty bad vocals on top of that.

Now, this is not to say that this is a bad album, no no, it has many great points in it too, one of the best plusses is the good use of what I think is a violin or some similar sounding instrument. There are multiple times during the album where, there is a nice lull moment and the violin comes moaning and groaning in its soft way. The songs are also (with the exception of some) very good, with a abundance of what makes me love Post rock/metal so much, and that is the ambience. There are some really wonderful moments here, the best song of the album for me being the mostly instrumental song, I Think E.T. Is Involved In My Family. It has the violin making its despairing and sadning noise, while some laid back drums swirl around, accompanied by some equally despairing guitar, before occasionally gaining some punch, and going into a almost metal like riff, with pounding drums, yet still sounding distinctly post rock.

A good album with some glaring flaws, but still worth a look for fans of Post Rock.

Sheavy | 3/5 |