After Crying - Megalázottak és Megszomorítottak CD (album) cover

After Crying

Founding Moderator
4 stars Not for the first time, I have decided to re-review an album. And in this case, I am adding a star to this superb album, since it has become one of my favorite mostly-instrumental prog albums of all time.

I simply love the overall effect of this album, which is instrumental, with only occasional, but always compellingly plaintive, vocals. The 22-minute opening track is a fabulous classically-oriented pastiche that reminds me in many places of Crimson's Wake of Poseidon/Lizard/Islands period. Contrary to other reviewers, I found the other four tracks equally delightful in their own ways. Especially good is the fourth (title) track, which has the most recognizable "prog-rock" (as opposed to more "classical") approach. The final track is also an excellent composition, accomplishing a great deal in a short time.

There is a great deal of creativity going on here within a seemingly loose framework. and the virtuosity of the players is almost frightening: the cellist is world-class, and the violinist and trumpeter are superb. (BTW, where is the drummer's credit?...)

This is a wonderfully interesting, eminently listenable and highly enjoyable album that really grows on you. (And I just love trying to get my mouth around the title!). And although it came out somewhat late in the game to qualify as "essential," it is without question an excellent addition to any prog rock collection.

maani | 4/5 |