Kataya - Canto Obscura CD (album) cover

CANTO OBSCURA

Kataya

Quirky Turkey
3 stars Canto Obscura - 3.4 / 5

This is an instrumental album with ambient sounds and a new-agey feel to it. Guitars are very dominant and add nice textures but I have to say a few of the solos sounded a little tacky. The keyboards are mostly atmospheric and there's lead synth and organ here and there which is always welcome. The first half of the album contains female vocals without lyrics used as an instrument, like in 'Great Gig in the Sky' by Pink Floyd. The music isn't technical and remains worldly and relaxing throughout, like something you'd hear in an exotic holiday resort foyer. 'Putkivaara' is a nice change though, and contains a faster rhythm and a more 'rockier' feel. 'Mindfrost' contains some weird narration which is also a change but I didn't really like it. Despite these changes the overall moody tone of the album is present in all the songs. Some highlights for me are 'Avojaloin' with it's pleasant rhythmic flow, and Ahava; slice of heaven with its distinct vocal harmonies. In fact Ahava is the only song that evokes a deep emotional response from me.

Overall, a pleasant album but not incredibly progressive. It didn't really pull me in and it felt a bit like an easy listening new-age rock album with progressive rock elements, nothing that pushes boundaries or demands a lot of attention.

Quirky Turkey | 3/5 |