Alamaailman Vasarat - Kaarmelautakunta CD (album) cover

Anthony H.
4 stars Alamaailman Vasarat: Kaarmelautakunta [2003]

Rating: 7/10

My 100th Review!

There are a multitude of factors that make Alamaailman Vasarat a strange band, yet one of the strangest things about them actually has nothing directly to do with the music that they play. Rather, it's how their music is received. AV are an avant-garde group; they play odd music with odd instruments. However, I've noticed that they manage to receive a positive reception from audiences completely unacquainted with avant-garde or progressive music. As is the case with most prog fans, the majority of my friends and acquaintances are happily ignorant of music like this. In desperate attempts to musically reach out towards the people around me, I have often utilized this band. For a reason I am currently unable to identify, most people seem to like them regardless of musical background. There's something innately enjoyable this zany klezmer/metal/jazz hybrid, and Kaarmelautakunta shows AV developing this unique style that they began on their debut. Nothing has changed stylistically, but the band's sound has significantly moved forward.

The excellent heavy opener "Kivitetty Saatana" focuses on a memorable main theme. "Vasaraassialainen" begins with some wonderful pump organ. A waltz-like beat enters, and the brass comes into prominence to create another strong track. The somber cello section here is one of the best moments on the album. "Pelko Antaa Siivet" is a decent slow piece, but it isn't a highlight. "Hamarapuolella" features yet another solid main hook, and the heavy ending serves as an appropriate climax. "Astiatehdas" may be my favorite track on the album. This is an infectiously energetic piece that displays everything this band does best. "Vanha Lapsuudenystva" actually has a bit of a smooth-jazz feel at points. The cello work is some of the best on the album, but the track as whole isn't terribly special. "Olisimme Uineet Vielakin Pidemmalle" is another favorite of mine. The interplay between the brass and the reeds work perfectly, and the main hook is excellent. "Lentava Mato" is another fiercely energetic track. It's difficult not to bounce up and down while listening to this. "Jaa, Hyva Mieli" closes the album. The constant distorted cello sawing makes this quite a menacing track that ends the album well.

Kaarmelautakunta is an excellent album that manages to capture AV's sound enormously well. The cohesion that was absent on the debut is very much present here. The metallic klezmer is fantastic as always, but the slower pieces are what really show the band's development. The mellow moments on Vasaraasia were rather dull, but they've become somber and actually somewhat pretty on this follow-up. The debut's lack of variety is also remedied; AV add compositional diversity in order to flesh out their signature style. Overall, this is an outstanding album that I would recommend to anybody interested in klezmer or avant-metal.

Anthony H. | 4/5 |