Blue ÷yster Cult - Agents Of Fortune CD (album) cover

AGENTS OF FORTUNE

Blue ÷yster Cult

Warthur
2 stars Though it's now my all-time favourite Blue Oyster Cult album, I didn't like Secret Treaties at first - it took more than a few listens before its subtleties became apparent and I really started getting into it. Similarly, whilst I really liked Agents of Fortune on the first few listens, over the years its star has diminished in my estimation considerably. An album of slick pop-metal, there's no doubt that this one helped the band get wider attention - you've probably heard the cowbell-heavy Don't Fear the Reaper a dozen times by now - but the preponderance of hard rock cliches masks what is ultimately a collection of rather shallow and unimaginative compositions. Not even poetry from Patti Smith can save this one.
Warthur | 2/5 |