Savatage - Dead Winter Dead CD (album) cover

DEAD WINTER DEAD

Savatage

The Crow
5 stars This is just one of the most heart-touching albums Iīve heard in my life...

...And one of the Savatageīs highlights! This album is their second Opera Rock, four years before the masterpiece "Streets"...And this is like a kind of Savatageīs reborn, because this is the first album with the guitar master Al Pitrelli, with the drummer Jeff Plate and "Dead Winter Dead" represents also the comeback of Chris Caffery, who worked with Savatage in "Gutter Ballet" and in some concerts at the end of the 80īs...

Every Savatageīs album itīs different of all the others of the band, but in this one they developed a very new sound. This is a very much orchestral work, least 80īs heavy metal oriented. In my opinion, "Dead Winter Dead" itīs the first really symphonic Savatageīs album. Here is the song Christmas Eve, a song that would become a great hit in the United States under the name of Trans-Siberian Orchestra, the parallel Savatageīs group. Trans- Siberian Orchestraīs sound was born with "Dead Winter Dead"...

This album has a story...And itīs a very beautiful one. But I donīt want to explain here, because I think itīs better to know this story while listening the incredible music that Savatage made here. Listening this album you can feel the war. You can sense the sound of bombs, the fear of dying, the evil thoughts of politicians, the roar of the battle, the pity of the Sarajevoīs people while their city and country itīs being destroyed... But you can feel also the hope and love of these people.

I donīt want to write more...But if you want to discover one of the best album in rock history (in my humble opinion), just listen "Dead Winter Dead", a true masterpiece.

The Crow | 5/5 |