Mike Oldfield - The Killing Fields CD (album) cover

THE KILLING FIELDS

Mike Oldfield

The Crow
4 stars I think this is a very special album in the Oldfield´s discography, and ovbiously underrated by the Oldfield´s fans too...

Maybe if you listen this album before you have seen the film, it will be a little odd and strange for you, because this music it´s sometimes too dark and eerie...For that, I recommend see "The Killing Fileds" picture before hear the album, because if you make that, you will discover that this album illustrates perfectly the wonderful story of the film. And you will be able to enjoy the dark travel through the Cambodian war and the protagonist´s feelings with the web of synthethisers and great percussive elements that Oldfiled used for making this music, in addition of a very well orchestrated parts... Because I think that Oldfield made a great work as Film-Score writer! In my opinion he mixed the dark synthethised parts with the more orchestral and luminous ones with a great success, and without losing his identity...

Although there´s is also some tracks very enjoyable and more in the Oldfield´s typical style: Pran´s Theme, Good News, Pran Sees the Red Cross, Etude... Maybe tracks like these are the most accesible ones, but I think the whole disc it´s excellent!

For that, I specially recommend this album to people who want to discover the Oldfield´s darkest side and for Film Music and soundtracks lovers. But I think that this music can be also enjoyed by every prog fan who likes the most darker and experimental side of instrumental symphonic music...

The Crow | 4/5 |