Triumph - Allied Forces CD (album) cover

ALLIED FORCES

Triumph

Raff
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
2 stars I used to like Triumph back in the '80s when this album was released. However, I don't really understand what their connection to prog might be. First of all, I think the only things they have in common with Rush are their home town and the trio format; though some have found similarities between the voices of Rik Emmett and Geddy Lee, who is in my opinion a far superior vocalist.

That said, "Allied Forces" is a more then adequate album, heavy enough to counteract the more evident radio-friendliness some songs (like the mediocre "Say Goodbye", which closes the record). The musicianship is also quite good, with a particular mention for guitarist Rik Emmett. It's a pity that some of the songs are almost indistinguishable from the production of countless other AOR bands, technically proficient but with little feeling. There are, though, a couple of excellent tracks, namely "Ordinary Man", with its acoustic introduction and slow buildup, and "Fight the Good Fight".

"Allied Forces" is a pleasant listen for those times when we can't take anything too complex and demanding, but nothing ground-breaking by any means. 2.5 stars, nothing more.

Raff | 2/5 |