Mike Oldfield - Heaven's Open  CD (album) cover

HEAVEN'S OPEN

Mike Oldfield

matti_sillanmaki
2 stars The worst I've heard from Oldfield so far!

What a disappointing album, although I knew I shouldn't except too much when I first heard this. The album follows a very typical Mike Oldfield concept - a bunch of shorter songs and one long, about 20 minute track. Okay, that's fine, it worked perfectly on Crises for example, but the problem here is that the songs are very bad.

The two tracks which prevent this from being a total catastrophe are No Dream and Heaven's Open, which are actually pretty enjoyable pop-rock tracks, but the rest are not worth mentioning. But still, the worst thing about the whole album is "Music From the Balcony". I don't know what it is supposed to be but it seems like 20 minutes of random unpleasant noises in no particular order. It is extremely annoying and quite a painful listen, very hard to sit through.

Not recommended for anyone, but especially not for Oldfield-beginners. Get Ommadawn if you're interested in Mike, and if you're interested in this, I tell you, it's not worth your time. Move on and live your life happily without this one. **

| 2/5 |