Cynic - Carbon-Based Anatomy CD (album) cover

CARBON-BASED ANATOMY

Cynic

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

loggerhead
5 stars I have listened to Carbon-Based Anatomy 50 times back-to-back since the time I got it, each time better than the last. This is an exceptional, nigh on perfect record.

It annoys me that this is being treated as an EP as that means it wont get the exposure it deserves. Don't get fooled by its EP status, CBA is as complete as any of the greatest LP's and if your worried about it's short 23 min play time, just play it twice.

As far as the structure goes the album is 3 'songs' and 3 themed passages, but really this is one piece of art and is best listened to as such.

instead of listing all the wonderful aspects of the album which would take far too long I will mention the one weak point in the album which is the vocals. Unfortunately for cynic Paul hasn't got the greatest voice in the world (although personally I love it). That said this is his best performance, Paul has dropped the vocoder and sings more confidently than every before. To support his singing there is a heap of female vocals on the disk which works extremely well. disappointingly the death growls are gone, I feel this takes a string off the cynic bow, that said the album is dynamic enough without them.

Buy this album, you will not regret it

loggerhead | 5/5 |