Transatlantic - SMPTe CD (album) cover

SMPTE

Transatlantic

Starhammer
3 stars Stolt & Morse & Portnoy & Trewavas...

The debut release from the most acclaimed prog supergroup of the past decade. Featuring Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings), Neal Morse (ex-Spocks Beard), Mike Portnoy (ex-Dream Theater) and Pete Trewavas (Marillion) you know you are in for a treat. It was initially criticized for sounding too much like Spock's Beard with Neal Morse dominating the vocals, this may be true, but I don't see it as a weakness, after all, the more time Morse spends singing, the less we have to listen to Portnoy!

It kicks off with 30 minutes of pure magic in the form of All of the Above, and to this day I can't choose between it, and Stranger in Your Soul, as my all time favourite Transatlantic epic. Sadly, like Octavarium flipped on its head, there isn't much else I find here that makes me want to listen beyond the opening track. We All Need Some Light has interesting lyrics, which is a bit of anomaly in the world of Transatlantic, but I can't really think of anything noteworthy to say about the remaining tracks.

The Verdict: Top heavy.