Xing Sa - Création de l'univers CD (album) cover

CRÉATION DE L'UNIVERS

Xing Sa

Zeuhl

Starhammer
2 stars Heads or tails? Neither...

This is debut release from French Zeuhl collective, Xing Sa, and with a name like 'Création de l'univers', accompanied by some equally beautiful cover art my mind was conjuring up all sorts of magnificence. The reality is a bit of a mixed bag. Whilst the music isn't at all bad, in the words of Fish, 'Création de l'univers' has problems.

The problems stem from the direction the album takes, or rather, the lack of it. Feu (Part One) drew me in with incredible "lighter than air" drumming and sparse instrumentation. I really thought I could be in for a bit of a treat with this release. Then came Feu (Part Two) with its bouncing synth and signature bass line. I love Zeuhl and so this also pleased me. So why don't I particularly like this album?

The overall style is caught in limbo between the soporific ambient sounds of Feu (Part One) and the pulsating interplay of Feu (Part Two). It's the musical equivalent of falling into a deep sleep then being hit over the head with a hammer every three minutes. Except that this isn't even a hammer, its too weak to be a hammer, its more like a soggy banana. Irritating doesn't even come close.

I've lost count of the number of times I've tried to appreciate 'Création de l'univers' and in the end I realise this is the only reason I listen to it. Musical discovery can often require patience, but it should never be a chore.

The Verdict: Not interesting enough to merit dedicated listening, but too bombastic to be left on in the background.

Starhammer | 2/5 |