Kaipa - Mindrevolutions CD (album) cover

Kaipa

Anthony H.
4 stars Kaipa: Mindrevolutions [2005]

Rating: 7/10

Mindrevolutions is the third album Kaipa released after their reformation. This album has received tepid reception from the much of the progressive-rock community; some speculate that Roine was so displeased with it that he decided to leave after its release. I've spend a lot of time with Mindrevolutions, and I can't understand why it has such a poor reputation. I consider it to be on par with - and, in some cases, superior to - its excellent predecessor Keyholder. Granted, there are flaws here: the songwriting is a bit homogenous, and Aleena Gibson's vocals can be difficult to stomach at points. However, there are many fantastic and memorable songs here, the musicianship is absolutely spectacular, and the different pieces flow together enormously well.

"The Dodger" is a heavy opener with excellent guitar/synth interplay. Lundstrom's vocals sound great here, and the song works itself into a fitting climax. "Electric Leaves" is a short and slightly bluesy rock song. I don't love the vocal work on this track, but Roine's absolutely superb guitar playing makes it great. The subdued "Shadows of Time" actually features a decent vocal performance from Aleena, despite the fact that I normally hate her voice. "A Pair of Sunbeams" is a funky song with phenomenal bass playing from Jonas. The title track is an enormous 26-minute epic. It's the centerpiece of the album, and it succeeds quite well. There are some grating vocals here, but the vast majority of this track is top-notch symph-prog, with fantastic instrumental interplay and developed compositional ideas. Jonas's bass playing is particularly impressive. The short and somber "Flowing Free" is a nice cool-down from the epic that preceded it. "Last Free Indian" is another somber track with emotive acoustic guitar and poignant lyrics. This is a sad track that is actually rather moving at points. "Our Deepest Inner Shore" is the most lackluster piece here. There nothing here that stands out. "Timebomb" features some excellent bass work, but isn't terribly interesting otherwise. "Remains of the Day" closes the album. Lundstrom and Lundin both sound great here.

While I can understand it flaws, Mindrevolutions in no way deserves its mediocre reputation. This is not a symphonic-prog masterpiece by any means, but it is a solid piece of work with no shortage of awesome tunes. The title track is an excellent epic with numerous memorable moments, and the shorter pieces - "Electric Leaves" and "A Pair of Sunbeams" in particular - are just as strong. Every musician gets a chance to shine, and they all do so quite well. My biggest turn-off here is Aleena's vocals, but I understand that this is completely subjective; I don't like her voice, but there isn't anything wrong with it. Overall, this is an excellent release that shouldn't offend any fan of melodic prog. There are countless albums that I would recommend over this, but that doesn't mean that it is a bad release.

Anthony H. | 4/5 |