Spock's Beard - V CD (album) cover

V

Spock's Beard

ianj1234
4 stars Alright! Here it is, my first review! Before I go into details, I would like to say that Spock's Beard is on my top 10 list of favorite Progressive Rock Artists, or at least symphonic Prog, the way they blend rock, pop, and symphonic progressive Rock, is just amazing, and the works that evolved from Spock's Beard, (Transatlantic, Neal Morse's Solo Work,) is just as spectacular. Spock's Beard's first 2 albums, The Light, and Beware Of Darkness, are both Neo progressive Rock albums, however once The Kindness Of Strangers came, they stepped into symphonic territory, however I disliked TKOS and Day For Night which was the next one, I will save that for another review however. But after DFN, they released One of my favorite albums by The Beard, V.

1. At The End Of The Day: 10/10, This is probably one of the best songs they have ever written, this is the Spock's Beard that I have grown to love, and yes everyone.. This is probably one of the best vocals Neal Morse Ever sang with Spock's Beard, he singing would probably make Elton John blush. And they have mixed pop sooooo well in this song, that it is almost not even noticeable, (sort of like many great Jazz/Rock Fusion albums etc, except here it's more like pop/prog fusion.) Everyone Shines on this track, and stands as a highlight not only on the album, but in their whole archive.

2. Revelation: 6.5/10, This song genre wise, is all over the place, at one point they are playing jazz, and another hard rock, and another pop, etc, it is a pretty cool rocker, however I don't find Neal Morse's vocals as great as the first track, and is a step down from the first track, but still great.

3. Thoughts Part 2: 7/10 This is a great track, and different from the other tracks, it has that sort of charm you got in The Light, and Beware Of Darkness, that faded, and I love the vocals in this song, especially when they sing "quietly Shut Me Out!" I think it's one of the coolest vocal moments in Spock's Beards Career, I also like the strange string sections, is it better than part 1 though? I thought soo hard about this, and.. Surprisingly I like part 1 better, I just thought the concept for the song was better executed in part one, and I thought part 1 rocked out a little better. Still a great track though.

4. All On A Sunday: 5/10 Now im not one of those prog reviewers who rate songs on how, "proggy" They are, I rate them on how I like them, and their quality, and here.... It is unfortunately missing, they released this as their single, I saw that they wanted to release a single that was accessible to other people, but it just doesn't work here. This song is very poppy, and they tried to mix prog elements in it, and it sounds bad, the keyboard work here (especially the Organ,) Is probably the worst I have heard from them, this is the worst on this album.

5. Goodbye To Yesterday: 6.5/10 Alright, a step up from the previous track, this is probably the only time that I can truly say that Neal Morse's vocals on this song (especially in the intro,) is terrific, full of emotion, and desperation, brings tears to my eyes every time I hear this song, unfortunately I can't say the same for the choruses, they are really loud, and sort of annoying. But still a good track.

6. The Great Nothing: 9/10 Here we are! The best Spock's Beard longtrack up to date, Everyone just like At The End Of The Day, Shines here, It is like they took all their greatest ideas and stuffed it all together, the cello/guitar duet in the beginning is truly haunting, the only thing that keeps me from rating this a 10, is that I think it is a little bit too long, although the song keeps my interest throughout, and when the cello/guitar comes back at the end, it is absolutely amazing.

This is one of the best Spock's Beard albums (if not the best), with it's few weaknesses, it is one heck of a ride to listen through, and still remains on my list of greatest progressive rock albums, it isn't a masterpiece, but it was verrrrry close to it, Highly Recommended!

ianj1234 | 4/5 |