Dream Theater - Octavarium CD (album) cover

OCTAVARIUM

Dream Theater

ianj1234
4 stars A lot of people are mixed about this album, but personally, I think this was the best Dream Theater Album after Six Degrees, (and I mean out of all the albums so far after Six Degrees, Black Clouds, A Dramatic Turn Of Events.) This album just has more flavor, and charm to it compared to albums like Systematic Chaos, (the worst Dream Theater Album ever if you ask me.) There's just more to like in this album, and they seem more focused on this one, but please don't get me wrong, this album isn't a masterpiece, and it's not the best Dream Theater Album.

1. The Root Of All Evil: 7.5/10, Yes! This is a great track, and really sets the mood for the album, you will love the many riffs it goes through, and Labrie doesn't sound too bad on vocals, And you will fall in love with the solo that explodes in the middle, a great first track.

2. The Answer Lies Within: 6/10, We soften up on this track, and is not that bad, infact I like it, I like the keyboard work, and Labries singing is alright, alright track.

3. These Walls: 6/10, this song is kind of bland, and a little bit cheesy, not bad, but not very good, however it has a riff in it that is awesome, that keeps the song from being too meh.

4. I Walk Besides You: 6.5/10, This song is a little bit better than These Walls, I love the strange clock intro, and the verses are really nice, but the one thing that alot of reviewers here complain about in this song is it's chorus, and I will disagree, the chorus is incredibly cheesy, but Labrie actually doesn't sound too bad, but it is verrrrryyyyyy Cheeesyy especially for Dream Theater.

5. Panic Attack: 8/10, Yes!!! This song is definately worth an 8, you will fall in love with it's many riffs, and Labrie (sorry for mentioning him alot by the way,) is just at his peak here, he just sounds absolutely perfect for this song, and this is the heaviest song on the album, and if you want to get introduced to progressive metal, this song isn't too bad of a start, (or The Glass Prison.) And the cool ending will grab you and pull you into the next song in excitement, amazing track!

6. Never Enough: 7/10, Yes! This is yet another great one, the love the keyboards in this, one thing I like about this album is that Rudess uses many different keyboard sounds (compared to other albums where he uses like the same sound on every song.) And This album is a great example, with an awesome keyboard groove in the middle followed by some more soloing.

7. Sacrificed Sons: 6.5/10, this is a great one, and brings you back to their album Awake if you ask me, a subtle but heavy song, a little bit sad if you read the lyrics, a little bit long though.

8. Octavarium: 8.5/10, YES!! This might be my favorite Dream Theater Longtrack up there with A Seasons Change, the beginning as MMAANNYY reviewers have stated (and even people I know personally have said,) sounds very much like Pink Floyd's Shine On Your Crazy Diamonds. The song will go through many changes, and Labrie sounds very nice here (except maybe the end where he screams, sounds like a chipmunk at a slipknot concert or something.) There is a keyboard solo here that starts around 12:15 I think, and it is the beginning of a long and amazing trend of soloing, and it is ABSOLUTELY amazing, it's like Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird solo, everyone knows it and loves it, and it's amazing, well if you ask me, this is Dream Theaters Freebird, From beginning to end, completely awesome, and if you like Dream Theater, you must listen to this song. And sadly, this is probably the last song from Dream Theater going foward I can give an 8.5 rating, an anthem that to this day will be remembered by many fans of Dream Theater.

Overall, this album is very good, it has it's weaknesses, but it also has it's strengths, and it's strengths will keep you wanting to listen throughout the album, if you want to be introduced to Dream Theater, I would not start here, I would start at maybe Six Degree's, (that's where I started.) This is a great album, recommended!

ianj1234 | 4/5 |