Pendragon - The Masquerade Overture CD (album) cover

4 stars I'm a huge Pendragon Fan, and after "The World" their albums have gained tremendously in creativity, complexity and general appeal. This album is as good as, if not better than the beatifull "The Window Of Life" Album. Again Pendragon raised the bar on their writing skills. Beatifull revolving melodies, with great keyboards that swirl through, compelling guitar, rich in textures, just brilliant music.

1. The Masquerade Overture (3:03) Operatic/classical voices, create a great opening for a beatifull album. 2. As Good As Gold (7:15) A great piano based intro, slowely evolving in a more powerfull rock song, with great melodies and good singing. 3. Paintbox (8:39) One of their best songs to date. Again great symphonised keyboard and guitar parts, multi- layered melodies that just melt into each other. Great song. 4. The Pursuit Of Excellence (2:37) A bit Celtic influences here, I don't really like the singing on this overall nice track.

5. Guardian Of My Soul (12:41). Great song with some classy guitarplay, nice hooks and dark melodies. With some Marillionesque drumming (Fugazi's-Assassin spring to mind) 6. The Shadow (9:55) Very melodic with numerous tempo shifts, awsome keyboards and stunning guitarplay. 7. Masters Of Illusion (12:51) Great symphonised piece, with lush keyboard soloing, great melodies and shifting time-signatures. A tremendous finish to an elaborate melodic album.

A great album, and a must have for all people who like their music melodic and symphonised. It's definetly worth 4 stars, and I am enclined to give it 5 stars, but I already gave "The Window Of Life" 5 stars, so 4 stars it is.

Highly recommended.