Fish - Thirteenth Star CD (album) cover

THIRTEENTH STAR

Fish

Starhammer
3 stars Lucky Asteroidea...

'13th Star' is the ninth studio album released by Fish as a solo artist, and the thirteenth of his career in total. Despite enjoying all of the early works of Marillion, (more so than the Rothery era) this was my first taste of what Fish did next. His vocals have always been likened to Peter Gabriel, but this also extends to the music on this album. It's comparable to 'So', great tracks, with a mixture of pop and alternative influences. Easy to listen to, but just enough nuances to separate it from just any generic rock album.

I've always found Fish's lyrics to be outstanding, and whilst I wouldn't go as far as to claim '13th Star' as an exception, they are certainly not quite as poetic or interesting as his Marillion material. The central theme revolves around missed opportunities and heartbreak, with several references to his failed engagement with ex-Mostly Autumn singer, Heather Findlay.

The Verdict: A strong release from the bath loving front-man, but not sure if there is enough here to entice me into exploring his other solo albums. We shall see.

Starhammer | 3/5 |