miRthkon - Vehicle CD (album) cover

3 stars Definitely a perfect match for the AltrOck posse, the thicker, jazzier side of Avant/RIO. I hear lots of ZAPPA and 70s avant jazz (BILL LASWELL/MATERIAL, Pangaea Records, DON PULLEN, KIP HANRAHAN, ARTO LINDSAY, ASTOR PIAZZOLLA), JOHN ZORN, BILL FRISELL, FRED FRITH, UNIVERS ZERO, and even a little KING CRIMSON ("Trishna") and STEELY DAN! ("Honey Key Jamboree"). Intricate, sometimes dense, amusing and entertaining avant jazz, this is a music that definitely stands in opposition to rock and roll and mainstream radio "pop" music. If and when you're in the right mood, this is fun music--great for the thinking listener. This will not, I'm sure, be everybody's cup of tea, but, if you pick up a guitar, kazoo or percussion instrument and try to play along I guarantee you'll not only have fun but you'll probably sound good! (Which makes me wonder how well the band does in replicating its studio music on stage.) 3.5 stars: skilled performances and daring compositions that will, I fear, not appeal to many outside of the Avant/RIO crowd. If you seek melody, you should probably avoid this record. If skilled, but unusual musical structures intrigue you, this would be worth checking out.
BrufordFreak | 3/5 |