Gryphon - Red Queen to Gryphon Three CD (album) cover

RED QUEEN TO GRYPHON THREE

Gryphon

Prog Folk

Canterzeuhl
5 stars My first review since joining this site, so I had to start somewhere familiar, comfortable and profoundly enjoyable!

This album delivers in many aspects what I look for in Prog rock: 1. At least one good lengthy piece (This has four!) 2. An unusual array of instruments (If I can't tell what it is that's a pretty good start, only from reading the sleeve notes have I discovered what a Krumhorn is.) 3. An unusual array of musicians!

'Red Queen to Gryphon Three' was Gryphon's third studio album and is proclaimed by the ratings here as their finest effort and I certainly agree with that. On other Gryphon albums they divulge in singing and to be frank their vocal chords aren't the best so since this album is vocals free that problem is eliminated. Also with the structure of the album, four 10 minuteish tracks, each one acts as a mini symphony which possess all the many quirks and somewhat spontaneous soloing they scatter about all of their albums but fused seamlessly to make a beautiful Baroque 'n' Roll quilt!

There is nothing I'd change about this album. Fantastic, tight musicianship throughout. Utterly unique. 5 stars.

Canterzeuhl | 5/5 |