Barclay James  Harvest - Once Again CD (album) cover

Barclay James Harvest

3 stars Sounding like any other 'Progressive' album, caught in the transition period between the late 60's and the early 70's, I feel that it's an 'almost' album, because it lacks that final 'edge'. Yes, it sounds dated, but then unless they're exceptional, they all do!

Maybe as a package it fails. I mean the first track virtually stops dead in the middle, pretty much before we've even got going! And not one of the other tracks on the album would be lively enough as an alternative opener...

Maybe that explains why BJH never made the big time. Their sound is too subdued. It lacks excitement or dynamism. It needs more of a spark!

Despite this, there are some good songs to listen too here. BUT, I feel that it all ends after track 5 (Mockingbird). So, 5 tracks and no opener? As I say, not enough in the package. Obviously, 'Mockingbird' is a fantastic song, whilst 'Galadriel' is a strong effort too.

It seems hardly fair to review an album so long after its creation, but then I can only apply my logic to what I hear now. The songwriting is probably good enough to make me want to hear some later material. Maybe the album 'Everyone is everybody else'.

If you've not heard 'Mockingbird', or even 'Galadriel', then these two songs are definitely worth a listen.

sussexbowler | 3/5 |