John Zorn - From Silence to Sorcery CD (album) cover

RIO/Avant-Prog

Anthony H.
2 stars John Zorn: From Silence to Sorcery [2007]

Rating: 4/10

From Silence to Sorcery is an album of contemporary-classical music by American avant-garde composer John Zorn. While Zorn has made some absolutely incredible music, I generally dislike his classical/chamber-music pieces. His compositions in this style are often only enjoyable in an academic sense, and even then, they tend to homogenize with one another. Such is the case with From Silence to Sorcery; I've already heard everything presented here a thousand times before. Even the concepts are tired: magic, mystiscism, shamanism, voodoo, and other such things. Zorn's music is normally extraordinarily creative, but I feel stuck in a rut while listening to albums like this.

The eight-part 'Goetia' is solo violin piece that absolutely fails to engage me in any way. It sounds like nothing but dissonant plucking. 'Gris-Gris' is an interesting percussion piece. It's well-performed and fun to listen to; again, however, I feel like I've heard this so many times before. 'Shibboleth' is the final piece, and also the longest. This piece is played with a clavichord, two violins, a cello, and percussion. This a middle-of-the-road Zorn piece. It's neither terrible nor fascinating.

I'm certainly not disgusted with the music presented on From Silence to Sorcery, but I'm not intrigued with it, either. This is an uninspired release that has done absolutely nothing for me. There's not much more to say about this. I can only restate 'meh' so much.

Anthony H. | 2/5 |